Friday, January 25, 2013

HURT


I apologize for not blogging last week, but I was involved in a serious accident.

I went to get my hair bleached at the salon I go to regularly, and I suffered a chemical burn up the back of my scalp after the stylist applied the bleach to my hair. 

My scalp is covered in open blisters and I have been stoned on painkillers for a week straight, along with a number of other medications. 

When it happened, I was rushed to the Emergency Room by a friend of mine. He was kind to me, and he told me it was going to be alright but I couldn’t stop sobbing. 

I tried really hard to stay calm but it was the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life. They treated me immediately when I came into the ER, pouring ice water over my head and putting a wet towel on it and providing me with painkillers.

It was equally painful, although in a different way, when all of my hair fell out in my hands in the bathroom of a dingy Safeway when I was released from the hospital and went to fill my presciptions.

Although, looking on the bright side, something good came from this: if there is anything that can speak to a story about female standards of beauty in North America, it is this story. I truly felt what it was like to be far outside those standards, with swollen eyes from crying, a quarter of an inch long hair, and drowsy demeanor from all the medication. 

I also had the opportunity to feel like what it’s like to have someone care for me. 

Here is a picture I took to represent how I was feeling when I could get out of bed a few days later. I have some other ones that I am planning on using in the collection.

By the way, I never said this yet but I have always meant to: I reeeive most of the feedback through Facebook messages so I wanted to thank everyone on here for reading and telling me their thoughts.

A few days after being released from the hospital, with my head wrapped in a scarf I will have to wear for a month after losing my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment